Sunday 24 April 2016

The Lazy Girls Guide To Amping up Jeans and Tees

I’m not as obsessed with clothes as I should be. Don't get me wrong, I'd love having a walk-in closet full of stylish threads, but I'm sure I'd head for the comfiest, softest pieces every time! As you can probably infer from my photos, the jeans-and-tee combo is my go-to-simple-style because it needs no over-thinking.

That’s  one of the reasons why I don’t blog about fashion very often. Taking 371046 minutes to dress up take the dog out for a walk, change 28 times before going out to catch a movie, or taking pictures of every outfit I wear – I fail to see the glamour of it all. Also, when it comes to things like these, I'll confess, I'm lazy!

Ok ,maybe I do take pictures SOMEtimes… but that’s about it. Seriously!



Through college and jobs and from vacations to parties, I’ve gone through all phases of tops - the off-shoulder ones, the formal shirts, cowls, peplums (which I still wear occasionally for weddings and funerals) and the crops (that I sometimes pull out of my closet and wonder how I ever fit into them.)

I could literally live my life in a plain cotton tee and jeans, and since I work in advertising, thankfully, that’s the dress code. But there's a fine line between fashionable and frumpy. When your day involves impromptu business meetings, catch-ups with friends and random events, this ensemble has made me look and feel under dressed.

To avoid such scenarios, I'm regularly wearing chic-er, more versatile tees with trousers or distressed denims for a low maintenance, yet elevated look. . Gotta love it when all it takes is 3 pieces to create a complete outfit. If you're style is low maintenance too, welcome to the club! Here are some tips you can try:

Master The Half-Tuck – Whether it’s a brightly striped shirt, long knit sweater or a graphic tee, I love how tucking in the front makes it looks so much cooler. It gives you the comfort of wearing something over-sized in a polished, sophisticated way. Keep it effortless by tucking it in haphazardly in the front


Add some headgear – A beret or hat can make a boring outfit look super stylish. But my favourite is the bandana – it simply exudes confidence, freedom and a laid-back attitude. Wear it around your forehead, your neck or simply loop it through your jeans!

Nail Nautical – The navy blue-and-white striped print is a fashion miracle! It goes with literally everything from cutoffs to high waisted skirts, they’re super smart, fresh and clean cut. Invest in a classic one (as big buttons and embellishment look cartoonish) and wear it with a chunky neck piece. Simple!


Trade Blue for Black - Replace blue jeans with a coloured pair. You can't go wrong with sleek, black denim, either! It looks so much more formal when paired with a necklace.

Wear it with heels - Sometimes, all it takes to make an outfit dressy is good heels. Three pairs - black, red and nude will save an outfit every time, especially ones that involve jeans and a tee. Not a heels person? Pick up some embellished flats.. they're totally worth it!



Roll your sleeves – When wearing a button down shirt, a long sleeved tee or even a short sleeved tee, try rolling up the sleeves. You’re probably wondering how much shorter can the sleeves of a short-sleeved tee be. Well, a little longer than the arm holes of a tank top. A subtle change like that can change the whole vibe of your outfit. It’s one of my favourite things to do on those rare occasions that I wear a shirt. Fold the sleeves in half, then fold them again and let a little of the cuffs stick out of the folds (especially if the cuffs are a different colour!)

Belt it - They aren't just for holding up pants, they're stylish too! Tuck in your tee and accessorize with a contrasting or jewelled belt. 

Layer – Layering with a summer jacket or a denim vest is summer friendly. They give an outfit a lot more depth. Another thing I like to do is to wear a long, striped or contrasted spaghetti under a top to give a simple outfit a much needed boost.

Tie It - A stylish way to make an over-sized tee look amazing is to tie a knot at the bottom. But the trick here is to not show too much (or any) belly. Choose a really long, loose fitting tee shirt and then make the tie on the side above one hip, or at the back.


Cuff your Jeans – There’s not much (quick) style tricks you can apply to a simple top and jeans. But this one is the easiest of them all – it takes less than minute. Neatly folded legs of your jeans with heels (ballerina shoes/quirky socks and sneakers, in my case) is very celebrity-like!



Over to you.. what tricks do you have to amp up the tee-and-jeans combo? Oh.. and should I write about fashion more often? What do you think of this post? :)

Talk later xx
Don't forget to drop by my Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages to say "hi!"

No comments :

Post a Comment